Tuesday, March 10, 2009

River View


While this painting is partially made up - in other words - I recomposed the picture's elements to suit my vision of what the place should look like, it is based on a beautiful scene that is part of a campground in New Hampshire.

The mountain in the background is really there. When I do decide to make changes, I like to keep the far elements as they are. It's important to me that the mountain peaks reflect reality, but often I need to add or take away from elements in the foreground. I added the grassy path at the bottom left corner. There is a path, but not as romantically staged as this one. By having a triangular piece of land at one side of the bottom of the painting, I can keep the viewer's eye in the composition by creating a diagonal.

This painting: oil on linen, 12x16, private collection.

2 comments:

  1. This scene almost reminds me of the banks of the New River along the Virginia - North Carolina state line. The path would account for a hiking / horseback riding trail. Fascinating how a partially fictional scene can conjure up real world memories. Thank you for this achievement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this piece Lori. Great article today, btw... looking forward to more of your writing as well as your artwork.

    ReplyDelete